Cycling is getting safer
Cycling in the UK is often thought to be dangerous but looking back at previous years it is shown how the UK is adapting and changing to allow for better cycling facilities around the country.
You would naturally expect that as both the number of cyclists and cars has rapidly increased, the number of incidents would rise accordingly. However, the amount of accidents has actually decreased. The record number of cycling deaths occurred in the . Since then the number of fatalities has decreased and last year's records shows that there were.
This drop in accidents and fatalities I believe is due to a better awareness of cycling safety. Lights are used frequently so cyclists can be seen in the dark and helmets help to reduce the impact if an accident were to occur. Cycle awareness adverts are also shown more frequently and cycle lanes help to control the traffic. Bicycles have also become more stable since the 1930's. I think that all of these factors together have helped to reduce the amount of accidents in the UK and I recommend that these campaigns should be advertised as much as possible, especially as the number of cyclists continues to rise.
With 'National Take a Ride Day' coming up on the 22nd November, we are offering a free bike safety check* to make sure that your bike is in working order and in its best shape. If you would like any more information please contact us.
*Only one bicycle check per person
*Free bicycle safety check must be taking on the 22 November
* There is no need to book in advance, turn up to our workshop during 10am-5pm
*Free bicycle safety check cannot be exchanged for another offer or any monetary value
- We loved our holiday in the Cotswolds, thank you for all of the arrangements! | H & H Netherlands
- The walks were good and beautifully picked + the bags were perfectly delivered! | H & H Netherlands
- We had a very good time and will come back with friends and recommend you and this kind of holiday - Thanks a lot! | A Christophe
- Although the weather has not been ideal, i.e. we had a lot of rain - we really enjoyed the tour! And it was no problem biking with the dog on the tour - he enjoyed it too! | C Ramrath
- I have a lot of thanks for the perfect organisation and we'll happily recommend your holiday agency! | D Stephan
Activity Holidays and Short Breaks in the UK, Europe and worldwide destinations.
Compass Holidays specialise in walking and cycling short breaks and holidays around the UK and Europe. Based in the Cotswolds and founded over 20 years ago, our vast expertise means we know how to plan holidays to highlight the very best the countryside has to offer. Compass has also just launched a series of bike & boat tours around some of Italy's most breathtaking coastline.
Featured Holiday: Norway - The Perfect Winter Vacation!
This once in a lifetime tour in Norway is for people looking to experience the wild nature and the beautiful Northern Lights. You will experience a night in the picturesque ice hotel and be charmed by local award winning chefs. You will learn about both the scientific and the mythological parts of the Aurora Borealis - The beauty of this natural wonder will overwhelm you.